Save articles for later
Add articles to your saved list and come back to them any time.
A 17-year-old has been charged with ten offences over a fatal car crash that killed a teenage boy and injured five others on Sydney’s northern beaches earlier this month.
Six teenage boys, aged between 16 and 17, were travelling in a Toyota Hilux as it left the road and collided with a tree on Cabbage Tree Road, Bayview, shortly after midnight on October 7.
Multiple passengers were thrown from the Toyota Hilux after it left the road and hit a tree.Credit: Nine
The passengers were taken to Royal North Shore Hospital, where the 16-year-old front seat passenger later died from his injuries.
The 17-year-old P-plate driver, who was airlifted from the crash to Royal Prince Alfred Hospital in a critical but stable condition, was arrested at a home in Bayview on Thursday.
Officers took him to Manly Police Station where he was charged with ten offences, including dangerous driving occasioning death, dangerous driving occasioning grievous bodily harm and driving with passengers not wearing seatbelts.
He was granted bail and will appear in children’s court on January 10.
The teenagers involved in the crash were all friends and lived in the northern beaches.
At the time of the accident, Northern Beaches Police Area Command Detective Superintendent Patrick Sharkey said the scene had been chaotic and traumatic, with two passengers thrown from the vehicle.
He said injuries ranged from serious crush injuries to the chest to leg fractures.
“I would appeal for all drivers, particularly young and inexperienced drivers, to simply obey the road rules – they’re there for a reason,” Sharkey said. “Drive with due care and consideration to the right conditions that prevailed at the time.”
The mother of the 16-year-old who died remembered her son as an “amazing young man who was just starting to enjoy his young adult life”.
“He will be missed dearly,” she said in a statement the day after the crash.
Two teenagers died on the same strip of road in a car crash in 2003.
There have been 299 deaths on NSW since the start of the year, an increase from 227 this time last year. A further 9500 people have been hospitalised in 2023 as a result of crashes on NSW roads.
Our Breaking News Alert will notify you of significant breaking news when it happens. Get it here.
Most Viewed in National
From our partners
Source: Read Full Article