Three arrested under Terrorism Act after horror taxi fire kills one at hospital

Don’t miss a thing by getting the Daily Star’s biggest headlines straight to your inbox!

Three men have been arrested as part of an investigation into a car explosion outside the Women’s Hospital in Liverpool, Counter Terrorism Police North West have said.

Officers in Merseyside have arrested three men – aged 29, 26, and 21 – in the Kensington area of Liverpool under the Terrorism Act.

At 10.59am today, as the UK fell silent for Remembrance Sunday (November 14), a car erupted in flames outside the hospital and smoke billowed into the air.

Witnesses at the scene say they heard an explosion before the blaze spread over the vehicle.

In a statement this afternoon, police confirmed that one person had sadly died and another had been taken to hospital for non-life-threatening injuries.

Armed police have swarmed Rutland Street, near Sefton Park, and Counter Terror Police confirmed this evening it is connected to the investigation into the explosion at the hospital.

Cordons are still in place at Rutland Street as well as at the hospital, which has closed access until further notice.

Social media users described hearing a loud bang before clouds of smoke appeared near the hospital this morning.

Images circulating online show a car on fire and the remains of burnt-out vehicle.

A police helicopter had also been spotted circling around the area.

One witness described "loud bang and now dark smoke" coming from above one of the hospital buildings.

Merseyside Police, along with Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service and the North West Regional Ambulance Service were scrambled to the scene.

Members of the public have been urged to remain calm and vigilant while the investigation is ongoing.

Chief Kennedy said in a statement outside the hospital grounds: "Police immediately attended, along with Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service and the North West Regional Ambulance Service.

"Unfortunately, we can confirm that one person has died and another has been taken to hospital where he is being treated for his injuries, which thankfully are not life-threatening.

"So far we understand that the car involved was a taxi which pulled up at the hospital shortly before the explosion occurred.

"Work is still going on to establish what has happened, and could take some time before we are in a position to confirm anything.

"We are keeping an open mind as to what caused the explosion but given how it has happened, out of caution, Counter Terrorism Police are leading the investigation supported by Merseyside Police."

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

  • Terror
  • Fire

Source: Read Full Article