Newborn killer’s crocodile tears in hospital as he sobs ‘I’d never hurt a baby’

A coldhearted killer was filmed sobbing and clutching his then-girlfriend in hospital as he denied causing catastrophic injuries to a 12-week-old baby.

Kane Mitchell, 32, attacked Teddie Mitchell in the flat he shared with the boy's mother, Lucci Smith, 30, in St Neots, Cambridgeshire, in 2019, leaving the infant with broken ribs, a broken collarbone, and a fractured skull.

In the police bodycam footage, Mitchell screams at police as he is arrested while pretending to be a doting father to the baby, who would die from his wounds days later.

An officer tells him: "I'm arresting you for attempted murder, ok."

In response, Mitchell starts yelling: "I beg your pardon? I don’t f***ing think so. Oh my god. I would never hurt a baby. I’m not leaving my son."

The killer then throws himself into the arms of the boy’s mother, Smith, who also starts shouting angrily at the police.

She says: "What the hell? You're joking. No, no, no, no."

  • Police smash window to save newborn baby – before realising it's a doll

A female police officer then tells Smith she is also being arrested and she shouts: "Are you joking? I've got three other kids, they're seven, five, and two. Oh my god."

When the couple keep shouting in protest an officer says: "Calm yourselves down. You're in a hospital with sick children in here."

The chilling footage was aired as a two-part special of the Channel 4 series 24 Hours in Police Custody which showed viewers behind-the-scenes of the investigation into the disturbing crime.

  • Speedboat killer moved to 'monster mansion' prison with Ian Huntley and Levi Bellfield

Detective Inspector Lucy Thompson, the lead detective on the case, described Mitchell as "completely devoid of any remorse or empathy".

"It’s all about Kane and not what Teddie's been through."

A trial at Cambridge Crown Court in February 2021 heard that while Mitchell was not Teddie's dad, he and Smith raised him as if he was and the infant had his surname.

The judge said Teddie's rib and collarbone fractures were caused by Mitchell "grabbing Teddie and squeezing him" and the head injury from a "violent striking of Teddie's head against a hard or unyielding surface".

Mitchell was sentenced to life for murder with a minimum of 18 years and was also found guilty of causing or allowing serious harm to a child.

Smith was sentenced for cruelty to a child and given a two-year community order with a programme activity requirement.

24 Hours in Police Custody, Monday and Tuesday at 9pm on Channel 4.

Source: Read Full Article