Man, 23, arrested on suspicion of murdering Sergeant Matt Ratana who died in Croydon police station shooting

A MAN has been arrested on suspicion of murdering a cop who died after being shot by a suspect at a Croydon police station.

Sergeant Matt Ratana, 54, was allegedly hit with a smuggled revolver by Louis De Zoysa while he was being held in the custody suite.

The 23-year-old was taken to hospital with a gunshot wound following the shooting on September 25 and was left fighting for his life.

Police confirmed today the suspect had been arrested on suspicion of murder after his condition stabilised.

But he is yet to be interviewed and remains in hospital.

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Cressida Dick said: "Matt's loss hit the Met and the wider world everywhere very hard.

"He was a great officer with wonderful qualities and so many people have been impacted by his loss and will miss him a lot.

"You are aware a person was arrested for other offences before that, and after Matt was killed that person went to hospital.

"They have been very unwell but their condition has now stabilised and improved sufficiently for us to be able to arrest him for murder today.

"So, a 23-year-old man has been arrested for the murder of Matt Ratana.

"It's an important milestone and hopefully it brings some tiny comfort to Matt's partner Su, Matt's wider family and everyone who has been affected.

"The investigation is moving on into a dreadful, dreadful homicide."

Sgt Ratana died from a single gunshot wound to the chest after a concealed revolver was discharged "several times".

He had tragically been planning to propose to his partner of six years Su Bushby when he was gunned down.

She paid tribute to the hero cop, saying: "There aren’t really any words for how I am feeling right now about the loss of Matt; about losing someone I loved and was so close to in such a tragic manner.

“I know Matt touched many, many people’s lives with his friendliness, patience, kindness, enthusiasm and caring ways.

“I had the pleasure of sharing five years of my life with this lovely man – my gentle giant, with his infectious smile and big heart. I think of him with tenderness and love.

“Matt was my partner, friend, confidant, support and soul mate.

“He will be greatly missed but never forgotten. Matt will always be in my head and in my heart."

The veteran officer, who was due to retire to spend more time with Su, was the first ever officer to be killed inside a British police station.

Sgt Ratana had moved to work in custody because it was safer before the tragedy.

The officer had served with the Met Police since 1991 and worked in Croydon from 2015.

He had told colleagues he intended to quit as early as next year, and posted of his excitement at the prospect of “a long healthy life”.

Pals said Sgt Ratana, dad to a grown-up son, 26, dreamed of travelling Europe on his motorbike then coaching at his rugby club in Sussex.

He was laid to rest at the start of the month with pals performing a Haka tribute at his funeral.

Source: Read Full Article