The family of a little boy who was put on life support after a freak accident with a theme park toy has died.
Six-year-old Deklan Babington-MacDonald became seriously ill after an accident with a Sea World toy in Nerang, Gold Coast, on April 21.
The accident appears to have involved a harmless looking plush penguin toy that Sea World subsequently pulled from sale on Friday, according to news.com.au.
Deklan’s cousin Lea Williams told NCA NewsWire last week that the toy "had a long lead that was made stiff with a pole but the pole came out".
“It broke and turned into basically a long rope with a loop on the end. In a very short amount of time Deklan became entangled," he said.
Reports said the family members carried out CPR before paramedics arrived and that Deklan's heart stopped for half an hour.
Doctors at Queensland Children’s Hospital advised his mother Lauren Babington that Deklan was "beyond recovery" and his life support would be withdrawn.
On a fundraising page for Deklan and his family it was finally announced and confirmed that the young boy had passed away.
Harry’s biographer asks him ‘what have you done?’ over Charles and Wills rift claims
A message read: "Deklan passed away on the 30th of April, at Queensland Children’s Hospital, surrounded by his closest family, extended family and some close friends of the family.
"Please respect the families privacy and grief at this time. Any details of a memorial will be communicated when appropriate.
"They are reading the beautiful messages of support and love, and appreciate all the kindness and donations."
Get latest news headlines delivered free
Want all the latest shocking news and views from all over the world straight into your inbox?
We've got the best royal scoops, crime dramas and breaking stories – all delivered in that Daily Star style you love.
Our great newsletters will give you all you need to know, from hard news to that bit of glamour you need every day. They'll drop straight into your inbox and you can unsubscribe whenever you like.
You can sign up here – you won't regret it…
An investigation is now underway to discover what happened to Deklan and how he became fatally injured that day.
Officers from the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) Queensland took away a sample of the toy from Sea World on Thursday.
A Village Roadshow Theme Parks spokesman last week released a statement confirming that toy had been removed from shelves.
A company spokesperson said: "We need to understand the circumstances around what has occurred and will be fully co-operating with any investigation.
“As our number one priority is always health and safety, we have removed the toy in question from sale at this time.
“We will also be reaching out to Deklan’s family to offer support … We will not be making any further comment until all the facts are known.”
Source: Read Full Article