Arthur Labinjo-Hughes’ evil dad to finally release tragic boy’s body for funeral

Arthur Labinjo-Hughes' evil dad will finally let his body be laid to rest.

Thomas Hughes previously appeared to be "passive" about releasing his murdered son’s corpse but according to his lawyer, he now hopes it will give Arthur’s mum a 'tiny scrap of peace’.

Hughes was found guilty of the manslaughter of his six-year-old Arthur, who collapsed in June 2020 with severe head injuries at home in Shirley, West Midlands.

The 29-year-old has been jailed for 21 years while his girlfriend Emma Tustin, 32, who launched the deadly attack, has been given a minimum life term of 29 years for murder.

The case has broken hearts around the world and the little Birmingham City fan received tributes with applause at football stadiums last weekend and a community vigil.

The government has also announced an inquiry into social services, with major questions hanging over their involvement with Arthur in the weeks before he was killed.

It was confirmed on Friday that Arthur has yet to be buried, BirminghamLive reports.

Arthur’s mother, Olivia Labinjo-Halcrow is currently in prison herself after being convicted of the manslaughter of her boyfriend Gary Cunningham.It was her arrest and remand into custody in February 2019 that led to Arthur falling into the care of his "bullying" dad Hughes and Tustin.

  • Anti-vaxxer who tried to use fake arm to avoid Covid jab says 'life is ruined'

In an emotional statement, read by her mother Madeleine Halcrow, Arthur's grandmother, said her life had been "destroyed" by her son's death.

She added: "Now over a year on my beautiful boy has still not been laid to rest. He is still alone and cold; the people who took him refuse to show compassion and allow his little body to be released to me, his mother; to finally let him rest peacefully and warm.

"Burying my beloved son is the final thing I will ever be able to do for him. The waiting is torture and even though I try to stop myself every night when I get into a warm bed, my heart breaks all over again at the thought of my Arthur alone in the cold."

Bernard Richmond QC, barrister for Hughes, said a "degree of passivity" was part of his client's character and he had not been "fighting" or "standing up" for the things he should have.

For more shocking stories from the Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here

He told the court Hughes had left the issue of Arthur's remains to his family and Ms Labinjo-Halcrow's family to resolve but they had not been able to agree.

Mr Richmond added: "I have spoke to him and said this can't go on. He has instructed me to say that Arthur's remains, after a service with his family, must go to his mother's family for her to have a funeral and she must have control of his ashes.

"He does hope he can give Olivia a tiny scrap of peace."

As part of a national review into Arthur's death, there will be four separate bodies inspecting social care, health, police and probation as part of the review.

The sentences of his evil killers are also under review.

Source: Read Full Article