Trump lawyer Cleta Mitchell quit her law firm after being part of the president's controversial Georgia phone call

  • One of President Donald Trump's lawyers announced Tuesday she was resigning from her law firm after a Saturday phone call with Georgia election officials.
  • "I have decided that is in both of our interests that I leave the firm," Trump lawyer Cleta Mitchell wrote in a resignation letter Tuesday obtained by Insider. 
  • Mitchell's law firm, Foley & Lardner LLP, distanced itself from her and the president in a statement Monday.
  • Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.

One of President Donald Trump's top lawyers has resigned from her law firm after participating in a phone call attempting to overturn the election results in Georgia, Insider has learned. 

Cleta Mitchell wrote in a letter to her clients Tuesday that she was resigning from the blue chip firm Foley & Lardner LLP, according to a copy of the resignation letter obtained by Insider. 

"As you are probably aware, there has been a massive pressure campaign in the last several days mounted by leftist groups via social media and other means against me, my law firm, and clients of the law firm, because of my personal involvement with President Trump, his campaign and the White House, related to the November 3 general election in Georgia," Mitchell wrote in a resignation letter obtained by Insider. "After discussions with my firm's management, I have decided that it is in both of our interests that I leave the firm."

Mitchell participated in the Saturday call between Trump and Georgia Secretary of State Brian Raffensperger, where Trump appeared to the threaten Raffensperger in an attempt to overturn Georgia's election results. 

Shortly after the call became public, Foley & Lardner LLP distanced itself from Mitchell and the president.  

"We are aware of, and are concerned by, Ms. Mitchell's participation in the January 2 conference call and are working to understand her involvement more thoroughly," the firm wrote on Monday.

Mitchell did not immediately return a request for comment Tuesday afternoon.


Source: Read Full Article