Matt Hancock shouted at by man on London Underground
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
A man has been arrested on suspicion of assaulting Matt Hancock on the London Underground.
The former health secretary, who came third in last year’s series of I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here!, is understood to have been unhurt in the incident on Tuesday, which began at Westminster station before continuing on a Tube train.
A spokesman for the Tory MP, who represents West Suffolk, said it was an “unpleasant encounter”.
British Transport Police said they received a report of a man being “assaulted and harassed” at the station next to the House of Commons before 9am.
The force said: “A 61-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of common assault and a public order offence and remains in custody.”
Inquiries are ongoing.
Mr Hancock’s spokesman said: “Both Transport for London staff and the British Transport Police were fantastic and the man has since been arrested.”
He said “this sort of behaviour is a rare occurrence” and stressed the “importance of shutting down baseless misinformation which causes so much harm”.
The spokesman added: “Matt wants to put on record his thanks to TfL and the British Transport Police for their extraordinary work.”
A man can be heard repeatedly calling Mr Hancock a “murdered” in a video widely shared on social media.
A transport worker can be seen supporting the 44-year-old throughout much of the incident.
Mr Hancock was health secretary when the coronavirus pandemic struck and was a key figure in the lockdown restrictions and vaccine rollout that followed.
He resigned after leaked CCTV image showed him kissing an adviser in his office, in breach of his own social distancing guidance.
Mr Hancock angered colleagues and constituents by jetting to the Australian jungle to appear on the reality show but won some sympathy from TV voters to come third.
Having been stripped of the Conservative whip over the appearance, he said he would not contest his seat at the next election when he will step down.
Source: Read Full Article